Monday, March 1, 2010

Selling blues

Disclaimer: I shall not take the name of the product/service which my office deals with

I had always thought, as long as there are people to buy, salesmen have their jobs. But in real, it’s the opposite. As long as there are salesmen, people will always buy no matter how bad the product/service is! On my first day at office, some 5 months ago, I learnt my first rule of selling-don’t sell the product, sell your personality. People will buy your product automatically. And I have ended up selling my soul.


Last 5 months as a sales person, I had the most frustrating and exciting life. In short, am excited when I sell and frustrated when I don’t. I still remember the ‘water’ incident which changed my perception. I and my colleague went to meet a prospective customer at his residence. The moment I gave my introduction at the door step, his face expressions changed. He had that-‘who allowed you inside the apartment’ look which we usually get and bluntly said-he was not interested at all.


As he was about to close the door, I gave him my best smile and said-“Not a problem sir. It’s very hot outside. Can I at least have a glass of water?”


He nodded and turned back to his wife. Seeing that she was on phone, he himself went in to get the water and seconds later, we did what we are good at. We started conversing with his wife who had just put down the phone. The conversation ranged from her beautiful saree to the artistic painting behind the wall, from her cute kid to her impeccable English despite being a housewife. Exactly 10 minutes later, she was filling up our forms while her husband was watching us across the room with his hands folded and the water untouched.


A big smile on face, over enthusiastic for anything and that’s a readymade salesman for you. Tell him, you are not interested; he will give you a smile. Tell him you already have it, he will still smile. Tell him you are busy, he will smile wider. And tell him to come back later, and he won’t leave until you give him your number and exact date/time to come back again. I am sure every one of us has met a salesman at least once in our life. What did you tell him? That you are not interested? Did he tell you with a big infectious smile-“Not a problem! Have a nice day”? Did he? Well ‘have a nice day’ for a salesman means ‘go to hell’ and that’s attitude!


The best and the foolproof method to find out if a salesman is lying-check if he is talking or not; it’s true we live in the world of lies. A young guy in one of our associate offices raised his hand in the meeting and asked-


‘Sir, we have been getting lot of calls from the customers, shouting at us about the quality of the product. What are we doing about it?’


The boss gave him the usual big smile and said-‘Don’t give them your number.’


‘But sir, if the product is bad, why are we selling them?’


‘My boy, we are selling them only because the product is bad. If it’s good, they don’t need you.’


And that’s true.


Being a salesman requires lot of attitude and positivity. Being on the field for 6 hours and constantly listening to people saying ‘Not interested’ can screw up anyone’s attitude in a day or two. Well, along with positive attitude, he got to be shameless too. I remember last month, when I walked into State Bank of India, Begumpet branch and started talking to an old woman in her cubicle. Just seconds into the conversation, she started shouting at me, how I disturbed her during working hours, how I didn’t have the minimum courtesy to understand that bank isn’t the right place to sell, how she hates people wasting her time and finally told me to get out & never disturb her again. The whole bank was watching her shouting at me. I simply said ‘good day’ to her and walked into the branch manager’s cabin. Ten mins later, I sold and I came out. You can say I am shameless; I would prefer to call it positive attitude! (What I say about it doesn’t make any difference as long as I make money)


I really don’t know if marriages are made in heaven but I definitely know that friendships blossom on field. I have made some great and real friends at office only because of the field and the fun we had with customers. Some of the experiences are memorable-


It was a hot afternoon at Chennai, when we walked into Punjab national bank. After meeting few employees, I and Rakesh walked into chief Manager’s Cabin.


‘Hello sir. This is Aditya from Hyderabad’-extending my hand for a handshake.


‘I know’-with his palm facing me and went back to doing his work.


‘Well I came to meet you sir.’


‘I know’


‘err, I came here to give you an invitation actually from..’


‘ I know’ with his palm facing us yet again.


I looked at Rakesh for help and he looked like a guy ready to burst into laughter anytime.


‘You know sir?’


‘I Know… thank you’ and went about his work.


I simply muttered ‘Not a problem! Have a nice day’ under my breath and walked out. Once on the road, we laughed for 5 minutes. We don’t know why we laughed and for what. But we did. After a while, we controlled ourselves and walked towards the central bank nearby. I already had the appointment to meet the AGM and after waiting for a while, we walked in. We talked for few minutes, when the AGM got a phone call and he spoke in tamil for 25 minutes! Rakesh was listening to him like a kid who watches cartoons- I mean open mouthed. After 25 hilarious minutes, he put down the phone and I said-


‘Sir, we came from Hyderabad. We are leaving tomorrow to our place.’-trying to put a sense of urgency to make him agree.


‘Can you come next week?’


‘ No sir, we are leaving tomorrow. It will just take 2 minutes to fill the form and write out a cheque’ I said with a smile.


‘ When are you coming back?’ He asked


And Rakesh lost it. He stared laughing uncontrollably. I looked at the AGM and my friend and the mere situation made me laugh. It was like an infection which spreads, a happiness which can’t be avoided and a joy which has to be accepted. I and Rakesh were sitting in an Assistant General Manager’s Cabin and laughing our asses off. We were wiping our eyes and muttering ‘sorry’s and laughing more. We had no control over ourselves. I finally realized its was going out of hand, just stood up and said


‘I am really sorry sir. I will definitely meet you when I come next time to Chennai’ and walked out to the road.


Rakesh burst into fresh laughter at my last sentence and we were both hugging each other & laughing our asses off on the busy road of Mount Road.


In a different situation,


I and my colleague went to meet a person at his office.


Shaking hands with him, I said-‘Hello sir. Hope you remember me? I met you 2 weeks back. You asked me to come in Feb 1st week’ with a huge smile.


‘Oh yes. Oh yes. I remember. But I am very busy right now. Can you come back later?’


‘Sure sir. Anytime…’ and that person was already walking away from us. I called out to him and asked-


‘So when can I come back sir?’


‘Yeah yeah. Come anytime when I am free’.


‘Sure sir. When would you be free sir?’


‘After March probably’ and he left me scratching my head.


And some awkward situations like,


I and my colleague went to meet a customer whom we had met one week ago at her residence. When I rang the bell, a very cute and pretty kid came out. She informed me that her mom is not at home and she might come back in the evening or so.


‘Oh that’s ok. Just tell her that Aditya had come. By the way, which class are you studying?’


‘I have finished my graduation’- she replied with all her facial muscles contracting.


I shall dedicate this post to all my friends at office- Rakesh, Darryl, Venkat, G.K, Rajesh, Ali, Arif, Saroj, Faheema, Kamlesh, Pawan, B.K, Ajay, Bhaskar, Satwick, Satya, Arun, Vamsi, Gowri Sankar, Manasa, Anshu, Vikrant, Ameena, Swathi, Ashok and last but not the least, to my most excited boss, Arvind sir.


26 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! sales is all about selling yourself and your ability to convince!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adiiiiiii! How can you :P
    Finally the much awaited thing is here :P I love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. say..can u get a salesman to say "i love my job!!its the best job in the world!!"???

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ aditya,

    nice blogger template this yours.

    cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting to hear about the other side of the story. personally, while i usually try to keep my calm when sales ppl bug me, i often find my patience being tested by their continuous smiles :P

    good write :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb narration Aditya :D
    Am glad to know you are enjoying every moment of your work no-matter how your customers respond.

    Keep spreading more smiles and yes, friendships do blossom in fields :D

    Keep up the good work :)

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rakesh- Exactly. Its fun. Thanks for the visit :)

    @Anaa- hehe :P Thank you :)

    @Anony-I can show you many :)

    @Vamsi- Thanks man :)

    @Nikitha-Thanks a lot. Yeah I know it can get irritating :P but we are just earning our bread and butter :P. Thank you :)

    @Chatterbox Whats work, if we dont enjoy it :(. I do :) Thanks for the kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew! Salesmen and their woes! Even Bollywood has taken notice of late! Else what explains a movie like Rocket Singh? Truly Aditya, hats off to all the sales guys! It is one of the toughest jobs and needs hell lot of patience and perseverance! You have to be dressed like a gentleman, behave like one, all that even at times when you feel like ripping off the 'potential' customer! An irate customers are worst! Hats off to sales guys like you Aditya! Cheers to all the patience and the persistent smiles :) Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh...that job requires hell lotta patience!!!

    A person like me would lose it and hell would break loose!!!!

    Nway hats off!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well..being a salesman is really a tough job..i realized it through your experience..i have marketing subject so i can visual and relate as well..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. So that's what you guys do when I say I'm not interested? :) It sounds like you've got all the confidence in the world! Really enjoy your writing.

    Snafugirl
    http://snafuliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. abey mera naaam kidhar he re........!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's one seriously hard job. i wouldn't have had the patience to do half of it successfully :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey there!
    nice to see u on my page...

    ib shifted my blog to http://the-perfect-line.blogspot.com/

    hope you visit soon!

    tc

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Aditya,
    Good Morning!
    I think,I can borrow some enthusiasm from you guys!:)
    Patience pays till one becomes a patient.
    Your post is an eye opener and I will change my behaviour to the untimely and unexpected guests!
    But I have learnt,one word from my mouth makes the smart guy sell the product!
    So,I am becoming smarter.
    Enjoyed reading your post.Hey,what a reply the cute gave!Unbelievable.
    Do you have plans to change the job?
    Wishing you a wonderful and brighter UGADI,NEW YEAR,
    more smiles and more sales,
    Sasneham,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  16. reminds me of "rocket singh"..:)..guess u seen tht one..

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm..the real life exp of a slaes person..it was really an awesome read n imagining u n ur frnd laughing together in the AGM's cabin really made me laugh too..

    u knwo this happened with me once... I had an appntmt with the BM of a bank for my proj work.. i went to meet him at somethin like 4 . after i went he had tea...so i had to w8..then after a discussion of abt 5 mins on the topic, his phone rang n he also spoke in some southie language over the call..i dont knw which xactly... but i could make out some words n he ws really happy n excited abt it... so even i began to smile(thinkin how long I have to wait here)
    i dint knw he ws noticing me n i pretended to b busy wid my books etc...

    after the call ws ovr, he all of a sudden addressed me n said, wat made u smile too... ?? now i dint knw wat to say... so i just said "nothing sir..jus tht i heard something like package n all..so i ws..."

    he then told me abt his son who got a palcement tht day with an IT co. n it was his call n so he ws very hppy.. then he told me hw he ws a banker n wanted his son to b a banker too..but his son had challenged him tht he wud be an enng n tht day he fulfilled it n so the BM ws happy tht he lost the challenge... at tht time he ws hvin a satisfied smile n it made me smile too n i siad "Congratulate ur son, Sir.." n he said "u dont hv to be afraid to smile...it can even make a person in front of u who is angry to smile..rmbr tht.." :) I guess not all ppl are like tht... he ws really a nice man..

    this really reminded me of him n so wanted to share...!!

    Good luck with ur job n keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Raksha Raman haha thank you! I didnt see the movie yet :P lot of my friends asked me to watch it but i couldnt find time :(. Thanks for your comments!

    @Jaunty Anima- Thank you :)

    @♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫, Thank you :) Hope you enjoy marketing :)

    @Snafugirl Yeah thats what we do :P haha! Thank you! Welcome to my space!

    @Chaitu Tu juice hogaya na :P

    @Olive Oyl haha even I am lazy to do it now a days :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Warmsunshine Sure. See you there!

    @Anupama I am glad you liked the post! yeah I am planing to change my job.Lets see what happens! its summer na :P Happy Ugadi to you too ! :) Welcome to my space!

    @Chitz No havent seen it yet :P

    @ First of all , thanks for the huge comment! Cool experience~ A smile can do wonders and I have learnt it in this field! :) Thanks again for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Patience is a must my God! commu skills and handling the cust's with lot of pyaar =D
    All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel so bad for salesmen who come door to door and get nothing from it.

    I never bought anything from D2D salesmen 'cause all buying/selling decisions rest with the 'head of the family'. Never thought it was a good thing till now.

    But seriously it is a difficult job, am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He.. He.. good one..

    and the difference between you marketing guys and us engineers...

    You have to sell the product that's made and we have to make a product that sells...Its complicated at the other end too... but even the best product doesn't sell without marketing guys... Good job you all...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Smartly written, I would say! Most of the sales are lost because of one's inability to help the customers to come to the buying decision! :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. @esther-Thanks for your visit and comments :)

    @ SM-Thanks for your visit!

    @Nicky-Well I aint any door to door salesman :P but yes any job which requires selling is difficult I am afraid! :) Thanks for your visit! :)

    @Sundeep-lol thats true :). Every field has its own challenges man! :) Thanks for your visit! :)

    @ Tha Virgin Autho-And most of the sales happen only because of salesman's convincing skills rather than customer's requirment ;) . Thanks for the visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made an interesting read. Its tough being a salesman. Seen my friends slogging to meet those inhuman targets. Glad to know that u did have some light moments :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...